Friday, September 16

Praying For $4/gallon Gasoline

Why Cheap Gas Is a Bad Habit

I don't often agree with Robert Samuelson, but his article has me salivating after every sentence - in a good way. I think we'd be in a better position if gasoline was more expensive. Higher fuel prices would increase demand for more fuel efficient cars. (Does my neighbor really need a Hummer to drive her kids to school?) I even like the idea of a gas tax - which would give us wiggle room in case market forces drive the price up too high too fast.

I truly believe that gasoline prices can only go up. I'll even wager that if they fall, they won't reach pre-Katrina level by Christmas.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Buy a diesel, make your own fuel. It's called biodiesel, used extensively in Europe, why not here? The Audi A2 and the Volkswagen Lupo get 80 (yes EIGHTY) miles per gallon. Again, why can't Americans drive those cars? They're not even hybrids, in fact. We don't have a fuel problem, we have a political problem. Rich Clark - rrich@holonet.net

Lenny said...

Right now American diesels suffer from too high sulfer fuel and strict emission controls. Adding gadgets to meet the emission standards will add cost. Biodiesel may be the way to go in the future. What plants could be grown on a large scale to use to extract enough fuel?