Thursday, October 6

Democracy At Last

As a follow-up to my previous post, a friend sent me this:

Three Men and a Party. At last, Democrats get a clue.

... and got me very excited.

The three men are:
  • Rahm Emanuel (Democratic Representative from Illinois)
  • Andy Stern (International President, Service Employees International Union)
  • Barack Obama (Democratic Senator from Illinois)

Why am I excited? Because, as Slate author Bruce Reed puts it, each of these men are rising stars in the Democratic party, who are "tired of a strategy that depends on the other side falling to pieces."

Yes, yes, yes. Just what I tried to say, exactly how I feel. And meaty:
  • Rahm Emanuel has 5 ideas that I would vote for in a heartbeat. Ideas that would make me vote for a Democrat other than "he's not a Republican". (See the article for the ideas.)
  • Andy Stern started a website, www.sinceslicedbread.com that will pay mucho dinero (up to $100,000) for practical ideas that help working families.
  • Barak Obama posted an essay in Daily Kos, Tone, Truth, and the Democratic Party that speaks to the heart of the issue:
"Whenever we exaggerate or demonize, or oversimplify or overstate our case, we lose. Whenever we dumb down the political debate, we lose. A polarized electorate that is turned off of politics, and easily dismisses both parties because of the nasty, dishonest tone of the debate, works perfectly well for those who seek to chip away at the very idea of government."

Don't stop. Whatever you do, don't stop.

No comments: